CALL FOR ARTISTIC WORKS
Public campaign : “NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind”
Calling all artists, architects, photographers, designers and creative activists... let us think beyond sculptural works. This is not simply an exhibition but also an informative awareness campaign that uses art to carry an important message.
- Open call announced October 3rd, 2018
- Submission deadline, Midnight (GMT+2) November 15th, 2018
- Public Announcement of selected works, December 14th 2018
- Bootcamp/kick-off meeting, early February 2019
- Production residencies, March - April 2019 (in Latvia or Estonia)
- Launch of artworks (time when artworks have to be ready): April 30 2019
What this is about
“NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind” is a creative information campaign that aims to increase public awareness of consumer material waste issues and resource efficiency in today’s society. “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” has become a public mantra in recent years when confronting the personal and environmental impact of surplus waste (plastic, paper, metal, glass packaging). Despite sizable and complex threats like climate change and pollution, material waste is something we can relate to and take action towards in our everyday lives. Some of the questions we wish to address with this campaign include: What does material waste mean and how do we confront it? How can we best comprehend the scale of the material waste problem? What role can everyday citizens play in the waste management process? What kinds of creative solutions are available for the management and reuse of material waste?
“NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind” will take the form of a traveling exhibition of 14 selected artworks/projects displayed in 6 different high visibility public locations (mostly outdoor) across northern Latvia and southern Estonia. The exhibition is carried out in the frame of the WasteArt project, a cross-border cooperation between associated partners in the region. Project proposals are open to all creative disciplines including visual/sound artists, sculptors, photographers, designers and architects. Projects may be carried out by individuals or small teams from Latvia, Estonia and abroad. The opening date for the first exhibition is currently set for May 1st, 2019. Each opening in a new location will be marked by a public communication event emphasizing the message of the campaign.
- Creative interpretation and relevance to the issues being raised by the “NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind” campaign and WasteArt project agenda.
- Sensory ability (visual, audible, smell?) of the artwork to communicate the aims of the “NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind” campaign and WasteArt project agenda.
- Reliability and durability of the work to withstand being exhibited in outdoor environments, in public space, in all weather conditions and transportability to 6 locations (please specify if special packing is needed).
- Quality or the proposal and perceived ability of applicants to carry out the proposed project within the given time frame (based on examples previous works).
- New and innovative approaches that move beyond traditional artistic forms (think outside the white cube).
The call is open to international artists, however out of 14 total selected projects a minimum of 7 projects will be selected from Latvian and Estonian applicants.
Conditions for selected projects of the “NOT out of sight, NOT out of mind” campaign
- All selected projects must be submitted and completed within the given time frame.
- Artists carrying out selected projects will be invited to a kickoff ‘boot camp’ preparation meeting in early February 2019 (TBA)
- Artists carrying out selected projects will be granted a 1 month production residency (Accommodation and studio provided in Estonia or Latvia February, March or April 2019).
- Artists carrying out selected projects will be granted an honorarium of 3000€
- Travel Budget
- Artists will be granted access to the facilities and material waste resources of ZAAO LTD (http://www.zaao.lv/en), a partner in the WasteArt project (See gallery below for examples of collected waste materials. Specified amounts can be set aside for projects).
- Artists will be provided with limited production and technical assistance for the installation of works.
For any furhter questions, please feel free to contact us: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
*NOTE, you will not be able to use this submission form without a google account. If you do not have a google account and wish to apply, please write us: email@example.com
The call is a part of the project “Reuse of Waste through Arts and Crafts” (WasteArt) No. Est-Lat65, which is funded by ERDF, INTERREG V-A Estonia – Latvia Cross-Border Programme and co-funded by project partners. This invitation reflects the views of the authors. The managing authority of the programme is not liable for how this information may be used.